The first NYUAD Candidate Weekend that I attended was last November. Erin Meekhof, one of the candidates who flew in that weekend and is now a member of NYU Abu Dhabi’s inaugural class, made an eight-minute video about her experience. She does a marvelous job of capturing the sense of wonder that many of the candidates felt as they came together from near and far — and that I remember feeling that weekend as well. Watching it will give you a sense of the excitement that all of us — faculty, administrators, staff, and students — feel about the project. Those of us who are working to build the institutions want nothing more than to make sure that students like Erin graduate with the same sense of wonder and possibility that they felt when the saw NYU Abu Dhabi for the first time.
About The Author
Cyrus R. K. Patell is Associate Professor of English at New York University and Visiting Associate Professor of Literature, NYU Abu Dhabi.
Cosmopolitanism and the Liberal Arts - A talk given at Harvard University, September 2013.
The Global Network University and US Global Studies - A paper delivered at the annual meeting of the American Studies Association of Korea, Seoul, 21-22 September 2012.
Moby-Dick Big Read, Day 99: "The Doubloon - My son Liam and I read one of my favorite chapters in the novel!
Petra, Day 1 - Years after first reading "Bartleby," I make it to Petra.
- Rereading a Thirty-Year-Old Letter February 21, 2014
- Around the World, Thirty Years Ago February 20, 2014
- Dramatizing Ideology: Lethem’s Dissident Gardens October 19, 2013
- Cosmopolitanism and the Liberal Arts October 2, 2013
- 1983 Thinks Big September 28, 2013
- New Friends in the Desert January 30, 2010
- Globalize My Playlist March 21, 2010
- NYUAD Blogging August 15, 2010
- Who’s Confused? March 12, 2013
- NYUAD Summer Colloquium June 1, 2010
- Shireen: Ahem, and your sister lived there! ;) I am enjoyin...
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York · Jonathan Lethem Goes to Queens: […] length reasons, a few ideas ended up on ...
- Dick Horwich: Cyrus, what does this say about our friendship? I...
- Kavita R: Thank you, Dr. Patell, for your vociferous support...
- Cyrus Patell: Dear Former Student, It's nice to hear from yo...